The Spanish SocKETs lab takes a specific look at the potential transformation of the work field induced by recent developments in Artificial Intelligence and Industrial Automation. Last November, they invited a diverse group of stakeholders to join the first co-creation workshop of their journey.
This working group, composed of different stakeholders involved in the development and diffusion of AI technology in industrial ecosystems, as well as actors evolving in these ecosystems, met at the first workshops organised by Tecnalia in Bilbao.
The 12 participants were introduced to the topic via a presentation of the thorough study of the regional innovation ecosystem that Tecnalia undertook. Our local partners presented the four main challenges identified that can be encountered in the field, before inviting participants to select the one by which they felt more impacted:
- socio-ethical dilemmas produced by AI
- Trust in AI
- Deskilling and reskilling associated with AI
- AI adoption and digital transformation
The first three were selected and discussed further in small groups.
The rest of the workshop was an invitation to build and develop creative ideas to include these questions into their professional context and to actively invite citizens and actors of the society into this dialogue.
From this discussion emerged three societal engagement ideas:
- Make the professions of the future visible: Carry out activities that lead to losing fear of massive unemployment due to the implementation of AI systems in industry
- Awareness of the ethical risks that AI generates in society: Make organisations and society aware of the ethical risks that AI generates and foster activities to face those challenges.
- Knowledge, projects and initiatives that foster trust in AI: Generating knowledge and showcasing projects and initiatives that foster trust in AI, within society and industry.
In the next months, the Spanish SocKETs lab will organise two more workshops, the first one in March 2022. The objective of this workshop will be to elaborate on the societal engagement ideas that emerged in the first workshop and have one or several prototypes for societal engagement activities to carry out within the Spanish SocKETs lab.
Want to be involved in SocKETs?
If you want to join this societal engagement movement in Spain, reach Raúl, our Spanish SocKETs lab leader!